Ahhh...Thanksgiving Break! As much as I enjoy my class this year, it is always nice to have a break. I am taking this break to ponder things I want to try and change before Christmas break.
With our new reading series, it has been difficult to set up the Daily Five routines in the way I would have liked. Our series, LEAD 21, had students rotating in guided reading groups the first week of the program! Students didn't feel comfortable with me, with each other, and they definitely didn't feel comfortable with routines in our room at that point. Now, at the end of November, I feel confident in my class's ability to work together and to really be working on their reading during small group time.
Up until now, I have been telling groups where to rotate and they have been rotating only with their same-level peers. On Monday, I am going to begin letting them actually participate in the Daily Five, where they make their own choices of: Read to Self, Read to Someone, Word Work, Listen to Reading, and Writing. I am excited to get this going, and I know they are too!
On another note...
I have begun to think back to last year and how chaotic our classroom was when we came back from Christmas break. I can not believe how quickly this year has flown by and how close we are to that already! I wonder if, besides model model model, there are any tips to decrease the craziness! The next few weeks will be full of concert practice, parties, and interrupted schedules. Remember to breathe. :) And to enjoy every moment!
Paula, I think you have been smart to keep control of the reading rotations until the students are comfortable and confident in the classroom with you and with eachother! Good luck as you allow them to rotate on their own! What a sense of purpose they will have as they "travel" on their own! Janet
ReplyDelete