We are currently in Week 4 of a four week unit on Animal Habitats. Because we have four different levels of books, we have four different habitats that our class is learning about. Our reading curriculum, LEAD 21, has emphasized an Inquiry project for each unit throughout the year, but I have failed to complete one until now due to time constraints and feeling as though I never covered the skills well enough to take the time to complete such a project.
Being that animals are of high interest to several of my students, I thought this would be the perfect time to try. I set up a tool for students to collect both facts and questions on note cards as they read through their own books and listened to the books of others. Each Friday, we spent time transforming our room into the four different habitats, one in each corner. It was amazing to see the amount of effort put forth by even my most unmotivated students. They were also allowed to bring in books, stuffed animals, pictures, etc., from home that fit into each of the habitats. I laid down different colored paper on the floor to set the boundaries for the habitats and also placed appropriate light coverings (blue for water, yellow for sun for the desert) to give it the full effect. They have loved "hanging out" in the different habitats while doing Read to Self and Read to Someone. Students have even asked to stay in from recess to READ!!!!
In our last week, we are working on gathering an equal number of facts for each habitat so that we can each write a book. I have been amazed and thrilled with the teamwork I have seen in this project. Students are borrowing books to each other and openly sharing facts to help each other out. My lowest readers have the same value and voice as my high readers, because they all need facts about each other's habitats.
This unit has really taught me a lot. I was very skeptical of how to run inquiry projects with my young students. However, I have realized that my skepticism has really taken away from them a lot and I certainly did not give them enough credit. With some effort on my part and guidance throughout the process, they have created some amazing things that they are SO proud of. I will be sad when the week is over!
Great to hear it is working for you and your students.How did you ever find time to incorporate the inquiry project? Did all of your grade level complete the inquiry project? I am hoping to take the time to do another inquiry project next week during unit 7 but something always seems to come up so we are catching up on regular reading and skill work on those days. We could most definitely use more time throughout the school day.
ReplyDelete