Thursday, January 20, 2011

19 New Energy Buses

Today, my class and I created 19 new energy buses.  I gave each student a yellow card with a bus on it, wrote "Bus Driver (Name)"  on the top, and on the bottom I wrote "My goal is_____."  I began by explaining to the students that they only had one half of First Grade left and that it was important to revisit our Hopes and Dreams. We talked about how our "magic buses" were going to represent our new hope, and that these buses would be fueled by positive energy.  The students immediately referred to the Magic School Bus, which I thought was kind of a fun connection.  


I sent them back to their desks with the card and said they could decorate their bus however they wanted to.  In the meantime, I called each of them over to revisit our current Hopes and Dreams, and to see whether or not they had reached it and if they wanted to work toward a new goal.  I was very impressed with what they created!


I will admit that I was a little skeptical about trying this at first.  With it being such a metaphorical expression, I wasn't sure they could make the connection.  They had so much fun with it, though, and were so excited about their creations!!!!!!


My next step....to create a long bus with me as the driver, and all of them as passengers....and ask for their trust on the journey.

5 comments:

  1. I totally can see the big bus right now. I'd use a cricut machine and the little school pictures we receive from Lifetouch. Then I'd have to scan it and use it as the cover of each kid's portfolio for the end of the year.

    Have fun with your Magic School Bus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about posting something on our class door,it would be a reminder each day as the students came into class. Thanks again for sharing your ideas. Have you checked out the website, I believe it has some nice pre-made posters that you could hang up as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula,
    I love the way you set new energy bus goals, and tied it into their hopes and dreams from the start of the year! Letting them decorate was a wonderful idea (and kept them busy while you conferenced)! I like your three positive comments, too, at the end of the day! Great ideas to energize your room! Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. How has this gone? Has it helped with behavior, classroom community, or work ethic? It has been busy that I have not fully accomplished my next steps. I want to make it happen before the end of the week. Please check in and make sure I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it has been a great activity. I need to back and revisit our buses and do a writing project asking them to share how they are doing on their journey. Has their bus moved forward? Backward? Stayed in the same place?

    ReplyDelete